Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Heading into the Second Trimester of Pregnancy

This week I entered into the second trimester of this pregnancy, and have already been relieved at how much better I feel! Finally, I have my energy back and feel like I can be productive and accomplish things.

One thing I am especially grateful for is the timing of this pregnancy. It is wonderful to be heading into the cooler months of Fall and Winter as I get further along. I am so glad that summer is behind us!

And speaking of Fall, I'm having fun decorating with some simple decorations around our house to get more in the mood:



So what I have I done so far to prepare for this pregnancy and upcoming labor?

First, my husband and I interviewed and chose our midwife. I couldn't be happier with our choice. We know many people that she has assisted (including my sister-in-law) and she has such a professional, and yet natural and caring practice. I have my first prenatal appointment with her on Friday and I'm excited to hear the heartbeat!

Second, I have been reading more books on home birth to prepare for ours. There is nothing like birth stories to get me in a good mindset, and I loved reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirthbecause almost half the book is a compilation of birth stories. I definitely recommend her book.

We have also signed up for Bradley Natural Childbirth classes and these will start at the beginning of the third trimester (which is January for me). I am really looking forward to these classes and how they will help keep me accountable in preparing for the labor. I am already using the Bradley charts for tracking what I eat and making sure I get enough protein. I've found that proper nutrition has made such a huge difference in how I feel. I'm staying away from junk food, sugar, and really processed foods, which has been easy because I don't crave any of these things (thankfully!).

Although I didn't exercise virtually at all during the first trimester (whoops...), I am finally getting back on track thanks to a very sweet friend who has offered to walk with me every day. I also want to get a birth ball and do the Pilates exercises that my sister-in-law had recommended, but I'm just waiting for the budget to do so (we are being very careful now that our debt is paid off--but maybe a post to come on that later!).

Finally, I have been putting together 3 x 5 cards with Scriptures and inspirational reminders to read (or have someone read to me) during the labor.


I really want my labor to be full of prayer and worship. I know despite my plans my labor could be something completely different than what I imagined. There are so many possibilities, but I will do my best to prepare and leave the rest up to God. 

3 comments:

  1. You are off to a great start with your preparations. I honestly think that is one of the biggest things that leads to labor complications: lack of knowledge and preparation. We also did the Bradley classes, and although they began to feel very redundant towards the end, they really made both me and my husband feel confident and capable. I think you will like them a lot. Exercising is not easy during pregnancy, so don't be too hard on yourself. You are entering the lovely "honeymoon phase" of pregnancy, so enjoy it! Before you know it you'll be feeling little kicks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! I can't wait to feel the kicks! I know that will make everything seem much more real. It's still incredible to me that a whole new little person is in there.

      Delete
  2. Awww... Congratulations! I'm glad you are starting to feel better! And the timing is great. I have several friends who were pregnant in the summer, and talk about how difficult the heat was to deal with.

    I'm not pregnant myself, but hope to be soon. I've read most of Ina Mays books, and they are so great! My husband and I just finished reading the Bradley Method of Childbirth book. So, hopefully we will be ready, if the LORD blesses us. :)

    Praying that you have a smooth pregnancy! I'm so happy for you!

    Angel

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, but please know that many comments will not make it through my "filter." Polite, reasonable, lovely, and sensible comments are always permitted. Rude, hateful, and deliberately disagreeable comments are not.