Wednesday, November 13, 2013

An Engagement Story

Last night I got the surprise of my life when my boyfriend asked me to marry him! To give you a little background, we have been courting for 2 1/2 years and although I knew that we were heading towards marriage, I had no idea that it would be last night in the middle of the street that he would get down on one knee and ask me to be his wife.

My Tuesday night was looking like an ordinary Tuesday night by all means. I got off work, drove home through frustrating traffic, and stopped in at the grocery store to buy all the deals before they expired. I drove over to his brother's home, believing that I was simply there to attend a birthday party.

As I had been driving over, the headache that I had was verging on becoming a migraine. I wondered if I should turn around and go home. When I finally got to his brother's house, I pulled up to the driveway, and noticed my boyfriend walking out to his car.

Because my head felt so badly and I had groceries in the car, all I was thinking about was getting inside and stashing them in his brother's fridge. I got out of my car and headed straight for the house, when I heard him calling my name.

"What?" I mumbled through the pain.

"Can you come here? I have something to show you."

"Okay" I muttered and trudged over to his car still holding all my groceries.

He opened the door to his truck and pulled out a gift basket with different crackers and cheeses. "I didn't get you anything for our 2 1/2 year anniversary so I got you this."

"Aw, thanks" I replied.

"Oh, and I also got you this" he said, reaching back into his truck. He pulled out a huge red box that was full of different biscuits from different countries.

"Woah, that is a huge box" At this point I started thinking "Man, he is really overdoing himself here!" but I still had no thought of what was to come.

"We can go back into the house now....oh but wait, there is one more thing..." Out came a bouquet of roses and I though "Wow...he is REALLY overdoing himself for 2 1/2 years."

Then he kneeled to the ground and I finally realized what was happening. He was asking me to marry him. And of course I said yes!

There is no ring as of yet, because he wants me to go with him to pick it out. (The more I think about it, this is very thoughtful of him, considering that I don't usually wear jewelry and I would prefer something with a low profile)



We went back to the house, and celebrated with his family, who knew all along what was up. We called my parents (he had asked them if he could marry me so they already knew), my brother, some relatives, and a few friends. It was an amazing night and the reality of it barely sunk in.

I couldn't be happier to be looking forward to a future with him. I admire him for his character and I have seen him face challenges and grow over the past 3 1/2 years of getting to know him. I couldn't be happier with our courtship, the foundation we built, and the sense of peace it is bringing me now. I am blessed that God brought me a man who is a strong leader, yet has an amazing sense of compassion. I am also thrilled that he grew up in the country and is a real manly man! We share many life goals, agree on theological matters, believe in raising as many children as the Lord sees fit to give us, and are for homeschooling them all the way. There is so much to be thankful for today!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!!

    I hope your head is feeling better.

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! By the end of the night my migraine was gone. I ate a lot of protein, took ibuprofen, and drank tea--of course, it also helped that I was happy. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow congratulations! What a blessing! I also had one of those "I thought this was just going to be a normal night and no all of a sudden I'm engaged" stories too, and I love it! How sweet to that he will let you pick out the ring. Any ideas yet on when you will most likely be married?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're thinking April or May, so fairly soon. I know the time will fly by!

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but please know that many comments will not make it through my "filter." Polite, reasonable, lovely, and sensible comments are always permitted. Rude, hateful, and deliberately disagreeable comments are not.