Sunday, November 3, 2013

Discipline, Discipline, Discipline


One thing I admire about the country life, is how much discipline it takes to raise your own food and care for animals. It's no easy "simple life," and it's funny to me how much I used to think of it that way. When people talk about going back to the simple ways of the past, they don't realize what they're saying. It's true that there's something about technology that clouds our brains and make our world seemed rushed. But it's also true that technology has made many tasks more simple.

Going back to the ways of the past usually requires more time, more patience, and more self-control. And I think that's why I long for it--because I want my life to be disciplined rather than to be led by my feelings, pursuing comfort at every turn.

A verse that has been on my heart this week is the same verse I had written on the chalkboard above my bed:

 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline."
 ~2 Timothy 1:7

Over and over again at my ladies small group, we ask for prayer for discipline. It's what we need. It's probably what everyone needs. It's so much easier to put on a Netflix movie when I get home from work than to do something productive. But if I'm ever going to achieve all my goals of having a garden, getting a chicken coop for the back, and learning to cook, etc, I'm going to have to have discipline. I'm going to have to force myself to act against my feelings and just do something.

There's nothing I hate more than getting home at 6:00 in the evening after battling traffic and having to start a meal (thank goodness for the days I use the crockpot!). I'm already hungry by that time, and I find it hard to do anything when I'm hungry. It's so much easier to look for a quick snack of chips than to put my mind towards making a full nutritious meal.

But, here, in the daily everyday things of life, this is where I learn discipline and put myself to the test. This is where I strengthen my muscles for doing things I don't feel like doing. And over and over again, I have to remind myself that I won't win the war (achieve my goals) if I don't fight the day to day battles. And with that fresh on my mind, I better go conquer that sink full of dishes before church!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but please know that many comments will not make it through my "filter." Polite, reasonable, lovely, and sensible comments are always permitted. Rude, hateful, and deliberately disagreeable comments are not.