Monday, May 20, 2013

Cloth Pads: Why?


Lets be honest: disposable pads are easy. So why switch to cloth?

There are two reasons: saving money and saving the environment. I will be the first one to say that cloth pads are not for everyone, and unless you care about one of the aforementioned reasons, I'd be hard-pressed to convince you to switch.

For me, both reasons are enough to make using cloth worth the extra effort. Now, first understand that when I say "saving the environment" I don't mean it in a hug-a-tree-save-the-whales type way. I am not an environmentalist. I simply mean that when I think of all the plasticky disposable items covered in human waste that we pile into heaps, it disgusts me. I'm a frugal type person, who doesn't like to waste. I would never pile up that kind of waste in my backyard if I knew of a reusable alternative, so why keep contributing to it in a landfill?


The second reason, saving money, is also very important to me. I love seeing how I can free up money for other purposes--whether it's to give more away or to spend it on something where there really is no alternative or DIY solution. You know, something that I have to keep buying. 

For the sake of easy numbers, lets say you spend $10 a month on disposable pads. It doesn't seem like a lot, but in a year it adds up to $120. 

To get a stash of 20 pads (which is what I'd recommend to make it through a normal cycle), it would cost about $30 to sew them yourself. That would be a savings of $90 in the first year alone!


If you can't sew--buying a stash of 20 pads (anywhere from $70-100) is still well below what you'd spend in a year. 

However, that's only counting the first year's impact. Your reusable pads have the potential to last for many years if properly care for. Each year that you continue using your pads, you can pocket that $120!
I don't know about you, but that sounds good to me.



Now that we've examined the why of cloth pads, stay tuned for part 2 where I'll break down the how-- How do you make using cloth pads work?

5 comments:

  1. I have found these interesting for a while. I wanted to try some, but can't afford buying any. I thought about sewing some, but didn't know what keeps things from going through. So I definitely want to hear more.

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to get around to making them after I'd heard about them too. I think I finally got around to it two years later! I'm going to try to post a sewing tutorial for them soon.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting topic, and I'm going to be honest, I've never even thought of it before. I'm looking forward to part 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you looked into the Diva Cup? http://divacup.com/?gclid=CKSmzuzgyrgCFatj7AodgAoA5g

    I have used it and alot of people I know also and we have all had fabulous reviews. I think it is an even better option than cloth. I like the whole you-can-wear-it-for-hours aspect without the risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friends have told me about it, but I'm not keen on the idea. I'm sure it is more ideal than pads, but I'm happy using cloth for now. :)

      Delete

Feel free to comment, but please know that many comments will not make it through my "filter." Polite, reasonable, lovely, and sensible comments are always permitted. Rude, hateful, and deliberately disagreeable comments are not.