Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Cloth Pads: How Does it Work?


If you'd like to begin using cloth pads, you might be wondering how it works. Are they hard to wash? How do you use them if you have to change them when you're out and about? Is it a lot of work? Is it icky?

The answers to some of these questions will depend on the kind of pads you buy (or sew). For the sake of example, I will speak from my experience with the type of pads I make for myself and for my Etsy store.

My cloth pads are very similar to disposable pads--in fact, I used a disposable pad as a template. They have a waterproof backing on one side and flannel side that sits up against your skin. The waterproof side is great for guarding against leaks, while the flannel side is very comfortable-- more so than the plastic in disposables.

 Flannel Side
Waterproof side

The pads I make also have snaps, which secure them in place when you're using them. This also allows them to be folded up (see below picture) into a convenient size for your purse.


Once your pads have been used, it is best to rinse them out immediately. Once they are rinsed out, you can either wash them right away or save up a few. A good place to keep them until you have a load ready is in a mesh bag in the shower or tub. 

Now, I realize that for some, this is where the ick factor comes in. Understandably  some people won't be able to get over this. We all have different "gross meters." I don't find rinsing them out to be an issue, and I'm sure many others wouldn't either--especially moms who already cloth diaper! Diapers are nothing compared to this in my opinion!

When you're ready to wash your pads, you will find that it is not complicated. They don't need a special detergent or special settings. At first, I worried that I'd need to wash them in a delicates bag, but I soon found they did better if I just tossed them into my washer with my normal colored loads.  Since they are a small item, they never make for "extra laundry." They are not like cloth diapers in this respect! The same goes for drying. Your normal settings are just fine.

But what if you work outside the home or spend a lot of time out and about? Can you still use cloth? Where do you put the pads until you get them home?

Yes, you can still use cloth--all you need to make this work is a wetbag. Wetbags are lined in waterproof material and are used to hold the pads until you get home. They come in cute fabrics and prints that won't look out of place in your purse. Below are some examples of wetbags I've sewn:





Once your pad is used, fold it mess side in, snap it shut and put it in the wetbag. When you get your pads home, you can rinse them out and treat them as you normally would. I have two wetbags: one small one that I put in my purse that holds two pads, and one larger wetbag that I use for longer trips, that holds around five or six pads. 

So how does the absorbency of cloth pads compare to disposables?  Cloth pads can be very absorbent without leaking, but only if they have a waterproof backing. I learned this through trial and error. I don't recommend pads that don't have PUL (polyurethane laminate) or another waterproof layer. I use about just as many cloth pads as I would disposables, but this will of course vary on which brand you were used to buying. All in all, I would say the absorbency is very similar. There won't be a huge disparity in how many you were using before compared with your new cloth pads. 

Finally, your cloth pads can last for a long time. I have the ones I sewed a year and a half ago, and they are by no means shabby. I am sure they will last at least four years if not much longer! One thing I would recommend if you are buying or making your own pads, is to buy a brown fabric. Over time, the pads will naturally become discolored and brownish. If you are one to care about the looks of things, going with brown will keep them looking new. 

I have tried to summarize some things I wondered about cloth before making the switch in this post, but I realize that I may have overlooked some questions or concerns. Feel free to ask away in the comments!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! Like I said on your last post, I just have never thought of this before. But it does make sense. After all, women only started using disposable feminine items in the last century. I am probably going to try it myself and see how it goes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess Im going to have to find time for a sewing project. And learn how to use my sewing machine ; )

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, but please know that many comments will not make it through my "filter." Polite, reasonable, lovely, and sensible comments are always permitted. Rude, hateful, and deliberately disagreeable comments are not.