Friday, May 29, 2015

Cloth Diapering Starting This Week!



I love big cloth-diapered baby butts! They are so cute!

I've started cloth diapering this week while I still have disposables so I can ease myself into it. I'm only doing cloth diapers during the day while I can really pay attention to potential leaking issues. So far no leaks, but I want to know what I'm doing before I go for an overnight.

The first thing I realized was very unexpected, and something only a mother can relate to probably. I realized that the diapers I had made with dark fabrics to hide stains....well, I'd rather have them be light colors so I can see exactly what baby's poop looks like. Yes, I never thought I would be talking about this, but you don't realize how important things like this are until you become a parent. 

Being able to clearly see this is a big indicator of baby's health, and this week it's especially become important because I'm thinking that our little guy has a dairy intolerance. I am going off dairy as of today to see if it fixes a lot of the things he's experiencing. It breaks my heart to see him suffering even a little bit. I thought if I ever had to give up dairy I'd do it grudgingly, but it is not how I feel at all. It seems like a small thing to fix the host of issues he has had this past week.

All this to say, if you are thinking of cloth diapering, consider getting a lighter inner fabric!

I am using pocket diapers that I sewed for him with Prorap diaper covers . So far I like this system. I'm into simplicity and the multitude of cloth diapering options are enough to give someone a panic attack, so I haven't given any thought to trying out any other types yet. 

I like the Prorap covers because they have great leg gussets, are in the perfect price range ($7.99), and have free shipping on Amazon. And of course, I like my pocket diapers because I sewed them myself and am a little partial to them. ;)

This is only the beginning of our cloth diapering journey, so I'm sure there's a lot I'll learn and will share later. I haven't even washed any of them yet.... Yep, there's a lot to learn!


2 comments:

  1. I love fluffy cloth diaper butts! so cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a great tip on the dark colors! I've read a couple books on cloth diapering. Not sure I have ever seen that tip. Will have to keep that one in mind, if the LORD blesses. :)

    Have a wonderful weekend with that sweet little boy!
    Angel

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, but please know that many comments will not make it through my "filter." Polite, reasonable, lovely, and sensible comments are always permitted. Rude, hateful, and deliberately disagreeable comments are not.